History is frequently lied about which is why I am so passionate about sexuality and art. Sexuality and art are forms of truthful human expression, in my opinion and you can find it anywhere in history. It is widely believed that gender fluidity is only a recent phenomenon. But sexuality and art from the past says otherwise. It goes way back.
Here are some societies that practiced gender fluidity:
- Gala priests might be the oldest recorded trans in history. Around 5000 to 3000 BC, these Sumerian priests were born male but spoke a dialect that was reserved for women only. They were devoted beings to the goddess Inanna, who was a very popular goddess at that time. They sang beautiful songs, healed the sick, predicted the future and raised money for the less fortunate.
- Galli priests are similar. Approximately 200 to 300 BC, these priests were devoted to Phrygian goddess Cybele (Magna Mater in Rome) . They were men who wore women’s clothing and identified themselves as women.
- In South Asia, Hijra are people that have been around for thousands of years and have no gender. They possess qualities of both male and female. Hijra people live in communities that go by the guru-chela system. This system where a guru has disciples called chelas. The guru teaches or leads their chelas, is responsible for the lifestyle and earnings of the chelas. They choose only respected and genuine people as gurus.
- In the 18th and 19th century, Koekchuch were males identifying as women in Siberia.
- Indigenous North Americans used the term “two spirit” to describe people who don’t identify as either male or female.
Here are a few trans/crossdressers in history:
- Elagabalus. We already mentioned him in Shocking Sex Scandals and how he would crossdress and pretend to be a prostitute for his lovers. Elagabalus was an Emperor of Rome 218- 222 who was known for scandalous sexual behavior.
- Eleanor Rykener. Born John Rykener, Eleanor was a 14th century sex worker who was arrested after having sex with a man named John Britby. No one is sure why she was arrested but her arrest record surfaced in the 1990s and historians were shocked to find traces of trans people dating this far back.
- Thomasine or Thomas Hall. Hall was an intersexed person who regularly switched back and forth from male to female. They were raised as female but entered the military as male. It is unclear why Hall was arrested but they were subjected to physical inspection by authorities at some point. They could not figure out if Hall was male or female due to their both male and female physical traits.
It is beautiful to see people live authentically even when it’s frowned upon. We support gender fluidity
Disclaimer: I am 100% against children taking hormone blockers or making any irreversible decisions to their bodies.
Is your relationship in trouble? Then please disregard this blog entry. Threesomes ARE NOT for fixing your relationship problems. A threesome (adding another person-including a baby but I digress) only AMPLIFIES your relationship problems. Read something else.
Premature ejaculation.. Want to play 7 seconds in heaven??? Wait….. It’s 7 MINUTES in heaven?? Well if you’re experiencing premature ejaculation, we have to read on…
We are not here to dismiss the devastating effects of infidelity and families breaking up because of it. Being open and honest is a great policy. So why is cheating so common and is infidelity ALWAYS devastating? First let’s break down some myths about cheating: Now that we went over the myths and we know… Continue Reading →